10 TRAITS OF TOXIC PEOPLE
Abusive, unsupportive and emotionally unhealthy, someone who basically brings you down more than up is how we can describe a toxic person. Manipulative and selfish are just a couple of features that can be used to describe them. At some point in your life you’re bound to come across a person who fits this description. Dealing with such people can be difficult and exhausting, to say the least.
This article shares some basic and prominent traits of these so called “friends”. This will help you to realize your self-worth and understand where do you stand in their life. It is easy to identify them once they start to unfold and show their true colours.
1. First and foremost, you apologize, for everything. They make it seem like, it’s you who is at fault. They make you dependent on them for every small decision you take.
2. When they mess up, they make you feel bad for not being there when you needed them. You will try to fix the mayhem and put a lot more effort than they put themselves.
3. If you share your feelings about being offended due to their behavior, they find a way to make it your fault. Their most used line- “You said that, that’s why I reacted”.
4. Proving yourself has become a daily task. They always try to prove you wrong and you have a continuous urge to defend yourself.
5. They usually have 2 moods- one, when they pay “a lot” attention to you and second when you “crave and beg” for their attention.
6. They can’t take NO for an answer. In fact, you stop saying NO to them because you know they will not let go that fact and bring it up every time you have an argument. Basically you know the result if you deny them.
7. You feel exhausted and drained every time you talk to them. You keep on tossing between solving your problems and then their issues, but your problems mean nothing to them. Selfish.
8. They start using phrases that make you feel guilty of judging them. Like- “Don’t you trust me?”, “You think I would ever do that”, etc. The list is long and keeps on going.
9. They are pretentious and unpredictable. In one moment, everything seems fine and the next moment they turn everything upside down. This cannot be fixed until you apologize for things you have not done.
10. You start overthinking, every time. Before you do anything or take any decision, you think of their reaction and try to mold things in a way that are favorable for them.
Feeling familiar? If yes, the person in your mind is definitely a toxic person. You might have not noticed it till now, but after pinpointing that feeling of tiredness to prove yourselves and them being judgmental all the time, your thoughts might take a 180 degree turn.
The problem might seem too big but the solution is as simple as that. Firstly, start putting yourselves first. You need to give importance to issues concerning you. Secondly, start making new friends. This is really important if you don’t want to re-engage yourselves. They might again make you feel guilty of leaving them alone, but it’s your call now. Try taking decisions in your favor. And lastly, stop being sentimental. Don’t be sentimental about those who don’t deserve it.
Think about what YOU need and what will make YOU happy and do that without having any guilt.